Laylatul Qadr "the night of power"
One of the earliest suras that young children memorize from the Qur’an is surat al-Qadr:
- Verily! We have sent it (this Qur'an) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree)
- And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?
- The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).
- Therein descend the angels and the Ruh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allah's Permission with all Decrees,
- Peace! (All that night, there is Peace and Goodness from Allah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn.
Explaining the meaning or tafsir to young children in an age-appropriate way can be very exciting. Knowing that they have angels with them all the time can be comforting to kids but learning that the earth is filled with angels on this special night bringing with them peace can be an awesome concept.
Spend time with your children on this auspicious night for as long as they can stay awake and encourage them to make dhikr and dua while sitting on their favorite prayer mat. Help them make a list of duas beforehand and encourage them to pray for others. If you’re able, spend time at the masjid so they can soak in the atmosphere feel the love of the community.
May Allah swt recognize your efforts and spark a thirst for connection to the Almighty in our children. Ameen.
Written by HalalParenting